Who Moved My Cheese Summary
Introduction
I got a book by chance in my office, where I am working as a graphic designer and video editor, the book was waiting for me in the drawer where I work. Nobody was looking for the book, so I thought maybe it is a clue from the universe, so I thought why not I read it because the book was pretty appealing to me.
It is about change, that takes place in our lives, whether it is taking place at your job, in your relationships, or in your businesses.
So the name of the book is "Who Moved My Cheese?" by Dr. Spencer Johnson
(Amazon Affiliated Buying Link)
Quick summary of the story in the book " Who Moved my Cheese?"
This book is a story of 4 characters named on the basis of their behaviors. Sniff, Scurry, Hem, and Haw.
Sniff: A little mouse who anticipates change early by sniffing it out at any place, people who have a future vision basically. They are able to predict the change before it can happen.
Scurry: Another mouse who quickly scurry into action and adapts as he likes to get things done, so they took action based on the plans they are provided usually.
Hem: A scared little character as little as a mouse who is afraid of change so he doesn't want change to take place around him. He wants to be in a place that is safe and where the changes made sense to him, turning them into haws.
Haw: Another little mouse-like human character who learns to adapt in time when they see something better and acts accordingly. (The Hero of the Story) from my perspective.
They all had a cheese station the cheese was missing from the cheese station 'C' one day. Sniff and Scurry moved and Haw acted like Hem at first scared and resisting change but soon adapted and acted like sniff and scurry and after a long hassle of running in the maze, where cheese can be, he got to the new cheese station 'N' and expects his friend Hem to act accordingly and find the new cheese. He wrote some pointers on the wall which are written for his friend Hem or for the viewers some of my favorite quotes and learning in short stanzas are:
- Difference between activity and productivity: Activity, is the condition in which things are happening or being done and Productivity, is defined as the process of producing goods and services "efficiently". Being efficient means doing a process with fewer efforts without changing the quality of the output.
- Sometimes things change and they are never the same again you should adapt to the change to be relatable and familiar. If you do not change, you can become extinct.
- The character Haw got inspired not jealous by Sniff and Scurry or frustrated by the situation.
- Predict future possibilities and problems that can occur and plan according to them.
- I will add many more next Sunday (12.03.2023) as I am going to re-read it.
Conclusions
Change is inevitable. Bhagwat Geeta has this saying, (परिवर्तन ही संसार का नियम है।). New rules and regulations, people and ideas come and the old ones get vanished.
The old ideas were not bad but they are not as good as these new ideas. So, if we don't accept these ideas or change we can miss an opportunity to change/update and get better.
We should always look forward to any change whether it is in the job (work field) or in a relationship, the opposite ideas cause fights and you get into arguments when both of you are having different opinions then you should not resist the change you should change, update and become better.
Atomic Habits Summary
Introduction
I wanted to read this book for a long time but I did not get the time to read this so s used a method that many book lovers who can't find time but they want to know what the book has to offer and can make their mind more capable and can help them to live a more easy and convenient life.
(Amazon Affiliated Buying Link)
This book has the power to make you the best version of yourself. Habits are usually made with less resistance. So if the good habits that you wanted are high resistance habits then you don't have a chance to gain them in your life. Make them less resistant.
If you want to tweet your thoughts but you don't do that because opening the phone>opening the app>finding the option to post>writing and posting has a long process, shortening it can make you more productive and habitual or tweeting your thoughts.
Making a shortcut of a new tweet on your home screen makes your good habit less resistant, easy to do, and bad habits should have more resistance, hide the apps make them more difficult to reach within your phone to get rid of your usage hide shopping applications uninstall them, install investment applications, LinkedIn, apps that can grow you.
How to design your environment?
For that write everything you do from getting up to sleeping and make changes to the routine add and make good habits less resistant which should not take much effort.
We have habits such as scrolling Instagram reels because it takes so much less effort and gives the brain the reward it wants.
Remove or make your bad habbits difficult to do, unplug the tv, after each time you watch it, keep your phone in another room, or maybe give it to some family member to hide until a set time, making your bad habits difficult will result in fewer trigger points which results in lesser bad actions.
You can re-arrange things like a book near your bed, keep your phone far from you, do whatever is triggering you to pick it up eliminate it and add or plant triggers of good habits, such as water at every possible place where you usually hang out.
Be the designer of your life, change your habits, plant triggers, and stack one habit on top of another so that the previous habit can work as a trigger for your next habit. It's genius how the book can change your perspective and make you feel almost like God who is guiding your mind and body when channel the energy, suddenly you feel like a master but don't forget to apply this learning as;
Knowledge is when you know something and wisdom is when you apply that knowledge.
To understand this line here is an example, we know that drinking water is necessary when we are thirsty, but drinking water when we are thirsty is wisdom.
Habit Stacking
When you trigger your mind with queues it can perform a series of tasks without getting bored almost automatically. If you want to do exercise but are not motivated enough because it is hard so you should start with a less resistant exercise which requires very less thinking power and effort than other exercises and is good.
What have I changed in my life by this book so far?
For the evening. I like to run on the rooftop as I don't like to go out at night one day I might start running in the morning as well but starting from my comfort zone so that I can get habitual of it and then easier and easier it will going to get with time as I habits are often enjoyable, just head start for 2 minutes you will do it more and more day by day then I like to do dumble curls then push-ups and that's how I have created a three stack habit, easy and fewer effort ones in the starting to more difficult and effort taking at the end. And this habit stack has a trigger which is taking a nap, a thing that almost everybody enjoys, after coming from the workplace. I have done similar changes at every place and will make more such changes.
For the morning. I have kept everything in place when I go to work I don't have to find anything and I don't forget anything usual, as I have already put everything in place when I came from the office a day before, now my brain knows everything I don't have to waste time the brain automates that activity such as; typing and shortcuts when you type or gesture on your phone or any device.
I have automated the route I take for work I don't have to think the subconscious does it for me my conscious brain listens to podcasts on an audiobook on the way at a minimal volume. It's a hell lot better when you can actually use your mind to say hey I am not your slave but the master and I make every decision because you know how your efficient mind just wants to do tasks with less effort so make it Efficient not Hard, make it Precise not Random, make your Designed Environment make you do not let the Random Bad Evinomments make you.
Short Summary of What are my learnings from both books?
Be the one who controls his own mind, not the one who is controlled by it. It's a weapon you should use after reading the instruction manual on how it works to be the master of your body, mind, and spirit.
Change is good when you look at it as an opportunity to upgrade yourself. Changing your habits is one of them. Attain good habits, leave bad ones.
"Being powerful is not about being the fire, being powerful is about controlling the fire and using it as you need."
If you want to listen to more such things. Comment down below. Or DM me @iam_krishnsingh, I produce content on Instagram as well give a follow if you like what I produce.
Comments
Post a Comment